Tuesday 4 December 2012

The differences between boys and girls…at the office



The premise of this article by Margery Weinstein is that there are definite gender differences in communication at work but instead of seeing it as “rife with controversy” we should see it through the “lens of culture.”  Ms. Weinstein explained, “Each gender is a culture unto itself, one that comes with certain norms and standards that can be misunderstood by those of the opposite sex” .Based on her research, Ms. Weinstein believes that while men seek hierarchy and status at work, “in the female culture, the relationship, the connectedness, the rapport is ultimately the most important thing” and “that’s what really gives women their base of power and influence” .She recommends corporations acknowledge that women and men communicate differently and organize “a program where gender issues can be discussed” and where issues can be raised “in an upbeat and constructive kind of way” to minimize conflict .Based on my research, the information in the articles as well as my own experience over the last 20 years working in business, I believe women and men definitely communicate differently.  On a daily basis I see men interrupting business conversations more than women, I see women providing more praise and compliments to employees, and I see women using language much toned down and less direct than men.  Neither style is right or wrong, just different

Ahsan Sohail

3 comments:

  1. I agree to a certain extent. In my experience, just like men and women are different on the level of gender, each man and each woman is different from other men and women as well. Some women may use a more complimenting style with other employees, others let their power over male sub ordinates get to their heads. It all depends on their own individualistic and personality traits.

    ReplyDelete

Blogger news

 

My Blog List

Translate

"I" Believe